Short+Sweet Film Festival
Short and Sweet Film Festival is here! The Short+Sweet theatre festival has been around for 16 years and staged some 5000 or so ten minute plays. It is only natural that we are now branching into the world of film and with so many great stories to draw upon, the possibilities are endless. Whether you have a play that you want to adapt into a screenplay or an original idea for a film, Short+Sweet Film Festival is now calling for entries for our inaugural year, launching online in 2016 and then in Sydney in early 2017 and Hollywood mid 2017, plus many more cities to come. By entering your film into Short+Sweet Film Festival you are automatically considered for all our upcoming festivals and cities.
In keeping with the Short+Sweet tradition all films must be 10 minutes or less and can be shot and edited on any device. There are no other limits other than your imagination.
We are open to filmmakers of all ages, all nationalities and all levels of experience, whether it's your hundredth film or your first, we want to see it!
The winning films from the online, Sydney, Brisbane and other international festivals will be screened in Los Angeles at the Short+Sweet Hollywood Film Festival International Grand Finals in late 2017 with many other awesome prizes up for grabs. One prize that we are very excited about is a series of mentorships with leading Hollywood professionals. Other awesome prizes include a $1000 equipment and camera hire voucher from RENTaCAM, a set photography package from Maryna Rothe, representation with Bold Artist Management, premium photo editing subscriptions from Ribbet and rehearsal spaces at the World Bar in Sydney.
The Short+Sweet Film Festival is unique that:
1) Enter just once and your film is in consideration for all our international and online festivals throughout the submission year.
2) We have a very strong international network and winning films will be screened in our Grand Finals in Hollywood.
3) We have a very strong link with the theatre worlds and our aim is to bridge the gap between theatre and film. One way we are doing this is with our Best Adaptation Prize. Many of you may have already made a play for a Short+Sweet Theatre Festival, so we say, why not turn it into a short film? You already have a great story, so adapt, shoot and enter!
*July 9, 2016: S+SFF Online & Sydney open for submissions
*Jan 31, 2016: S+SFF Online & Sydney close for submissions
*Feb 7, 2017: Programme announced
*Feb 13 - Mar 13 2017: Main Sydney Season
*Mar 19 2017: Finals
*Aug 2017: Hollywood Grand Finals
Last night was AMAZING! But now the important announcement of which films won last night's Heat 3...Our Judges' Vote Winner is "Solitude" by Michael Raso and Second Place is "Hellion" by Tim Nathan and Winner of our Audience Vote is "The Wave" by Alicia Rose. Catch these 3 films along with 9 others in our Gala Finals on Sunday 19th March at the Dendy Cinema in Netwown. Get your tickets here: ... read more
Last night was an amazing night of some of the best short films we have ever seen and a full house! But now, the important news of who won...And the winners are: 1st Place Judges Choice went to Adrian Jeffs for "Good Day To Die", 2nd Place Judges Choice went to Dawn Fields for "Fragile Storm" and 1st Place Audience Vote went to David Hansen for "Slingshot". Come and see these films and our... read more
Here it is, the program for Heat 2 this Monday 20th February at Blood Moon Theatre in Kings Cross, Sydney!
1. Reality Check by Annisa Belonogoff, Brisbane, Australia.
2. Life’s a Drag by Robin Queree, Sydney, Australia.
3. Fragile Storm by Dawn Fields, California, USA.
4. Distance To Now by Dan Balcaban, United States.
5. Rustling by Joshua Lundberg, Sydney... read more
Week 1 Selection (in no particular order)
1. "Turtle Soup" by Nicholas Halls from Sydney, Australia.
Adelaide Bell, a downtrodden 7-year-old, must harness her inner strength to save a turtle from his fate as turtle soup.
2. "Black Rat" by Perry Lam from Sydney, Australia.
BLACK RAT is a... read more
Any films received will be considered for the following festivals:
Short+Sweet Film Online Festival, Short+Sweet Film Sydney 2017, Short + Sweet Brisbane, Short+Sweet Film Hollywood 2017 & many more TBA.
For the one entry fee of just AU$20, your film will be considered for all of the festivals above, as well as any additional festivals we run... read more
Festival Directors - Angela Blake & Ali Crew
Social Media Intern - Melissa Brattoni
Festival Intern - Julia McNamara
Want to join our awesome team? Email [email protected] with your CV and introductory letter.
And keep checking back here for all our news.
How the Festival Works
The Short+Sweet Film Festival is unique in that by entering your film, you are actually entering all our Short+Sweet Film Festivals currently open for submissions both online and world-wide, all for the one entry fee. In 2016/17 films will be considered for our online festival, Sydney, Brisbane and Hollywood Festivals, with our Grand Finals being held in Hollywood in September 2017. With more cities being announced over the next few months.
Following on from the legacy and tradition of its parent theatre festival, the Short+Sweet Film Festival is dedicated to promoting local talent and showcasing it to the world. As well as encouraging filmmakers to enter, we want theatremakers and playwrights who have previously entered Short+Sweet plays to adapt them into screenplays and enter for a chance to win our Best Adaptation Prize. We see no reason why the theatre and film worlds should be so separated, and we aim to bridge that divide.
If you have a great story and it fits within our 10 minute time limit, then get filming and enter our Short+Sweet Film Festival.
No restrictions on the Device(s) used to record or create video and audio.
No restrictions on Software used to create, edit or enhance video and audio.
Films in any language are welcome, but must be subtitled in English.
The festival is open to filmmakers of ALL ages and levels of experience.
The cost of entry to S+S Film is $20. If you need another payment method or are having trouble with payment please contact us at [email protected]
Terms and Conditions
By entering your film to S+S you are agreeing to the following:
1.The running time of my Film is 10 minutes or less. Films longer than 10 minutes will not be considered and and the entry fee forfeited.
2. I am the creator of the Film and I give permission for the Film to be presented at any Short+Sweet (S+S) festival or event for which it is eligible. If I am not the (sole) creator of the film I warrant that I have obtained all necessary permissions of writers, originators or contributors.
3. Should my film be selected for a S+S Festival or event I understand I will receive no royalties or other payment for any screenings, live or virtual, but will be eligible for prizes and professional development opportunities.
4. I understand that my Film will be assessed by a selection committee and that no communication will be entered into by S+S regarding this process. The selection decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
5. I give S+S the right to screen/record/photograph my Film for archival, marketing and publicity purposes (including in unpaid public forums such as YouTube, Vimeo or similar).
6. A Film which has been publicly screened in the host city of any of S+S festival is still eligible for entry and consideration in any of our S+S festivals and cities.
7. All plays which have been adapted into films must have the permission of the playwright.
8. I understand copyright material cannot be used unless I have documentation to prove legal authorisation from the musician, artist, writer or record label.
9. I may also be required to provide Actor Release Forms to be signed by the people appearing in your film.
10. I understand that Films in any language are eligible, but must be subtitled in English.
11. The festival is open to filmmakers of all ages and levels of experience.
12. Submission deadline for Sydney S+S Film Festival is 11:59pm (AEST), December 31, 2016.
13. All content submitted must be in accordance with the law and any perceived illegal activity will be reported to the appropriate authorities.
14. I understand that if my Film is selected as a finalist I will be required to provide S+S with the highest quality recording of the Film so that it can be screened.
15. No restrictions on the Device(s) used to record or create video and audio.
16. No restrictions on Software used to create, edit or enhance video and audio.
17. The festival is open to filmmakers of ALL ages and levels of experience.
18. The cost of entry to S+S Film is $20. If you need another payment method or are having trouble with payment please contact us at [email protected]
The personal information provided by you will only be used by us for S+S Festivals, competitions and related activities, and to communicate with you about those activities. You can opt out of these at any time by responding to any emails received with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or the body of an email.
How to Enter
Prizes and Judges
The Grand Prize is to have your film screened in Hollywood at the inaugural Short+Sweet Film Festival Hollywood in mid 2017.
More prizes, opportunities and judges will be announced over the upcoming months.